Monday 17 February 2014

EL NORTE IN SONG  PART #3 - 
HELLO, SPANISH LOVE

Meeting and bonding with other pilgrims is one of the most wonderful experiences of any camino. Unfortunately, bonds get quickly severed as caminos end. It hurts...

This thought no doubt weighted heavily in my heart when I sat down to write this song. It was written for a specific person, one I had promised to meet in three days after we had went our separate ways. It was the only instance on El Norte that I had arranged to meet someone later.

She left after we made the promise, and I wandered into town to buy coffee. When I returned to the rather idyllic Tapia de Casariego albergue, I took out pen and paper, drank 3 cups and the song was done. It just poured out like I had it all figured out beforehand when,truthfully, I had no idea what I was going to write when I sat down. The music, despite 12 different chords, came just as easily.

Three days later, we met in Gontan, as planned. I sang the song for her on a bench in front of the municipal albergue:

You were sleeping in the rain
in Santillana Del Mar
You pierced my world of darkness
Like a diamond, like a star
    Hello, Spanish Love
    Let's raise a glass and celebrate the day
    Even though we know tomorrow
    Spanish Love slips away

Spanish Love steps softly
Sometimes it comes too late
Spanish Love is like magic
It’s nothing you could create
    Hello, Spanish Love
    Let's raise a glass and celebrate the day
    Even though we know tomorrow
    Spanish Love slips away

When we’re apart
Don’t let the dark change you
Keep smiling

    Hola, fugaz amor
    Brindemos por este dia
    No importa el mañana
    Fugaz amor no volveras

You were sleeping in the rain
in Santillana Del Mar
You pierced my world of darkness
Like a diamond, like a star
    Hello, Spanish Love
    Let's raise a glass and celebrate the day
    Even though we know tomorrow
    Spanish Love slips away

I felt somewhat awkward presenting a love song but she didn't seem to mind. It was nice to see her smile and laugh at a couple of lines that she knew could only refer to her.

She and I had many wonderful  times together, my favourite being a midnight 3k walk, all downhill, into a scenic ocean front fishing village which looked more like an abandoned Hollywod set than a place where real people worked and lived. It was eerie, romantic, completely surreal and utterly breathtaking.

It was one of those nights I would relive in a heartbeat and, given the choice, I would relive it with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment